The “R” – Religious Visa:
This Visa category allows qualified aliens to enter the United States so as to perform services related to their religious occupations and receive compensation for their work.
Under the relevant provision provisions an alien would be eligible to receive an R Visa if he/she:
- For two years immediately preceding the time of application has been a member of a religious denomination having having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the United States;
- Seeks to enter the United States for the following purposes:
- Solely to carry on the vocation of a minister of that religious denomination; or
- To work in a profession capacity in a religious vocation or occupation for that organization; or
- To work in a religious vocation or occupation for that organization or for a bona fide organization affiliated with that organization.
- Seeks admission to the United States for a period not exceeding five years;